Thursday, July 15, 2010

Shedding Skin

For the last couple of weeks I have had the priviledge of resuming my yoga work with the ultra amazing Marti Foster. I discovered her when I was pregnant and her prenatal yoga class was incredible. I use to call it Baby Bootcamp. I really do credit those classes with how strong my legs got over the course of my pregnancy. And let me tell you strong legs are essential for birth! I looked forward to her classes each week. So once we had Callie I had her Yoga for Moms class on my calendar for weeks. Marti has moved her Moms yoga class to a different location so the turnout has been low as of yet. As in, its just been me and her, which has been amazing. Obviously I hope that more people start showing up soon.
She said something to me on Tuesday that has been resonating with me. We were talking about how different life becomes so quickly when you bring a baby home. She said "it is like a snake shedding its skin." And I thought to myself Yes! She went on to say you don't necessarily look down at that skin you've shed (your pre child life) and look at it longingly but just that its a change, a new you. That is definitely how I feel these days. I don't necessarily miss my old life and honestly sometimes I can't really recall what it was. Sometimes I try to think to myself,
"If Callie wasn't with us, what would I be doing right now?" And I come up with a list, but somehow it just doesn't fit anymore. Each skin comes with its own challenges, mysteries and blessings. One isn't better or worse than another, just different. And it is that change that is so essential for growth.
Thank you Marti for helping me fit into my new skin a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment