Friday, November 26, 2010

Gettin' Crafty Part 2

So, while I was pregnant I assumed that I would feel crafty and do a bunch of sewing projects for Callie. So I bought all this cute bird fabric for a quilt for her. The idea of sewing seemed so unattractive for some reason.
Then the other day it hit me! Bill and I were talking about how excited I was for Callie's first Christmas. I told him that I was going to look on Etsy for a personalized stocking for her. Then he says:"You should make one for her." My first thought was, ugh. groan. Why would I do it when I can pay someone else to do it for me? Then I thought, it would be nice to tell Callie about how I made her stocking especially for her. And I thought of Bill's tattered stocking that his mom made him.
Ugh. Ok. So I started looking at a few websites about how to make a stocking. It looked simple enough. I know, I know. Famous last words. Since Bill was feeling crummy and Callie was a little fussy, I thought the best way for him to get some rest today was if we girls just left for a couple of hours. So we did. I wasn't going anywhere near any malls so we went to Beverly's Fabric just to get some ideas. I was thinking that finding some pre-quilted fabric would be a nice easy way to get the job done. Beverly's didn't really have any. So we went to Eddies in Sunnyvale. They had some beautiful fabric.

I like it, its not too overly cutesy, so I'm hoping she won't mind it when she is older. It is nice and thick so I won't even need to mess with interfacing. Or have to find coordinating fabric for the lining!

And then what did I spy with my little eye? A holiday sewing class! Perfect! I knew that would keep me on track, rather than this becoming another unfinished project pile. The class sounds great, its on a saturday (Dec 11) from 1-4 and you can choose from 4 projects, the stocking, an elf stocking (which has an exaggerated toe), a wine bag or a holiday fabric bowl. I got the supply list and started shopping with a purpose. The supply list called for white minky fabric for the cuff, but they didn't have any flat minky. And I really wanted to put Callie's name on her stocking. I was worried that if I did some iron on letters they wouldn't stick (that plan has since changed). The lady working there recommended flannel instead, so upstairs I went. They had some great print flannels so I ended up buying some cute fabric for a simply baby blanket for Callie which I churned out this evening! At last! Success! A sewing project completed for my girl!
I love the mermaids and the other side has seastars on it.

Back to the matter at hand...I found some flannel for Callie's stocking. I opted for the green flannel for the cuff and I've decided to make an applique of her name out of the white.

I think it will make for a really nice contrast. I'm thinking of doing a paper template of the applique first and just cutting it out before the class, so I have one less thing to worry about.
So that's my plan! If it goes really badly, I know that Callie won't really notice/know about christmas stockings, so really I have a whole year to get it done :)

No comments:

Post a Comment