Monday, May 2, 2011

New Obsession:)



 For those of you who haven't been paying attention on facebook, I have a new obsession. Walking marathons! I did the Avon 2 day walk a few years ago and it was an incredible, life changing experience. But it also left me with hip problems for a better part of a year and a half. So I didn't want to do a marathon and a half again. But I wanted to do something physical. This year, I told myself, was the year to get strong and accomplish physical feats. Part of it was having Callie because the birth process was so difficult and very physical. Another piece of it was losing a good friend a few months ago, completely out of the blue. So no more putting stuff off! Life is too short for "someday." I had been thinking to myself, "I'd like to do something like Avon again, but I don't want to do something that long or deal with the fundraising aspect." A madre sent out an email about the Nike Women's Marathon in October. I signed up for the lottery with some friends, but sadly we didn't make it. But that wasn't going to stop me! Over the course of the next couple of weeks I was signed up for a 5k in Big Sur (the next week!), a half marathon in June in Alameda, a 10K in Santa Cruz, a half marathon in August in Santa Rosa, a half in July in Los Gatos, a half in October in wine country and a half at disneyland in January. It feels soo good to have a concrete goal to work towards in regards to my fitness. I am definitely trimming down and getting stronger. It has become easier to get my butt outside and on the track or on the trails.

Big Sur 5K
I did the Big Sur 5K on Sunday. It was awesome!! What a beautiful day! It was craaaaazy cold when we started the race. I told myself that I might just run afterall just to get warm! But luckily it warmed up enough while we walked. I feel incredibly blessed to have shared the walk with my good friend Fran and our families. My mom, hubby and daughter were there to cheer me on as were Fran's hubby and daughter.
Grandma and Callie braving the cold to cheer me on!

It was a nice walk, right along the beach. Our time ended up being a 17 minute mile pace.
My bib and times

I definitely am shooting for a 15 minute mile because some of the half marathons have a time limit of 3 1/2 -4 hours for 13.1 miles. I can tell my hip is still going to be an issue, given that I could feel some tightness by the end of the 3 miles, so I will have to do some research on that. But anyway, it was an awesome day. Since it was still so early we got to spend a nice day in Monterey as well.
daddy time at the beach!
  




We took Callie to the beach and to Ghiradelli. It felt strange to be so exhausted so early in the day!
Such a goofy girl!
I find myself already getting excited for the next one on May 22nd in Santa Cruz! Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment