Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Darkness

As I struggle to put into words what these PPD feelings are like, I stumbled onto this blog post by Catherine Connors. She expresses her struggle in terms of a darkness or a monster in the closet. That is very much what it feels like. When it washes over me, I know they are awful thoughts in the moment. They are sick little dreams, fantasies if you will. The strongest one I experienced a few weeks ago. Callie was a screaming mess so I took her for a walk. She loves trees like nothing else, so I thought it would calm both of us down. Wrongo Dongo. She got even more upset. I tried stopping to feed her on the grass. I tried entertaining her. Nothing. And suddenly I had an image: pushing the stroller into the street. And then I would be free. I immediately felt like a terrible person, that I could even think a thing.
It usually hits me at night, lying in bed. It has gotten worse since the incident at Rancho. I lay awake thinking of more horrible things that could've happened. How I would tell Bill. Would he ever forgive such a horrible mistake? Could I ever forgive myself?
Sometimes, I think, I could wake up in the morning and this all would have been a dream, and I would have my life back. But I always feel immediately guilty. Some nights I just lay in bed and cry. The other night that happened and Bill just held me and stroked my arm. I was waiting for the question. What is wrong? I had an answer ready just in case. But thankfully it never was asked. My answer was going to be "I am horribly unhappy." Bill and I spoke very honestly this morning about it. I told him that I feel like I've lost everything because of her. I've lost my self, my job, my spark. I am a slave to her. When she has a bad day, so do I. This morning he said one of the nicest things he could've possibly said "I wish I could stay home a couple days a week to help you with her." He gets just as frustrated with her, he just isn't with her the kind of hours that I am. And besides, Bill is the calm and collected one. Its all very schizophrenic. There are minutes and hours where she is the most amazing thing in the world and I feel so blessed to have her in my life. And then she screams and I can't help her.
With the job situation, I (we) made the choice for me to stay home. I thought it was the right one. But now I don't know. I've always known that teaching is a part of me. I may not be the best teacher in the world, I'm sure there are students out there that would wholeheartedly agree, but it is my core. I didn't really realize how much it was my center until I am faced with not doing it. I let people convince me this was the right thing to do, for me and my family. "If you can afford it, you should take a year off." "I wish I was pregnant so I could stop working." "Why would you want some stranger raising your daughter?" But I guess in the end, it is a stranger raising her, I just didn't know that stranger was me. I'm sure this is something I will continue to struggle with as my friends, family and co-workers return to lesson plans, essays, annoying emails from parents, non stop questions from kids and lunches in brown bags. And I will miss all of it. But I will continue to be honest about it.

1 comment:

  1. "But I guess in the end, it is a stranger raising her, I just didn't know that stranger was me." That is so powerful and honest. I wish I knew what you're going through. It must be frustrating to have people continue to tell you, "It will get better" because even if rationally you know that it will, you still have to deal with the day to day.

    Just remember that you have a home at MV any time. Our doors are open to you, and screaming babies are welcome. I know that mentoring Viv will be a wonderful connection to teaching, and I can tell you all of the crazy stories from my goofy kids. And when you get to this point next year, when you're maybe prepping your classroom, you'll look back and marvel at how courageously you responded to such a struggle.

    ReplyDelete